The good news is there’s a lot you and your family can do to help kids facing hunger this summer. In between the pool parties and summer getaways, find time to give back with these fun activities for your family.
- Get to know the need in your own community. Feeding America network food banks run amazing programs, from providing summer meals for kids to teaching healthy cooking classes to gathering unharvested crops from local farms. Join us for our Plant it Forward program and consider donating to fund summer hunger relief programs.
- Set up a lemonade stand to fight summer hunger. Get your kids and your neighbors involved in the mission to end hunger by brewing up some homemade lemonade and donating the proceeds.
- Plant a family garden and donate part of your harvest to the Food Bank for Larimer County. It’s the ultimate DIY: Use your outdoor space or get involved with a community garden to grow fruits and vegetables that can fill empty plates. Plant it Forward!
- Make that 5k go even farther by using an upcoming race as a way to raise money to fight child hunger. Set a fundraising goal to reach by the time of your race and ask your friends and family to support you while you train. Start a virtual food drive here.
- Organize a community food drive. Join forces with your church, local supermarket or other community organization to collect donated food. Learn the ins and outs of organizing a food drive.
- Buy an extra bag of food. When you’re doing your weekly grocery shopping, pick up a few extra nonperishable items and bag separately. Then a few times throughout the summer, drop off your collection at your local food bank. A local family in need can enjoy the same meal as you, making your dinnertime that much more special. Find where you can drop off needed groceries.
- Fundraise with your social network. Facebook Fundraisers make it easy to rally your friends and family to support children facing hunger. Setting up a fundraiser for Feeding America just takes a few minutes — get started today.
- Volunteer! There’s nothing more rewarding than spending an afternoon making a difference for your own community. There are many opportunities to volunteer at the Food Bank for Larimer County, learn more.
- Spread the world. Educate your friends on the ways you’re fighting child hunger or invite them to volunteer with you. Share with your friends and followers on social media your experience fighting hunger and encourage them to do the same. Check out the Food Bank for Larimer County’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.
As many as 1 in 3 children in our community are at risk of hunger. The Food Bank for Larimer County feeds thousands of kids every year who would otherwise not know where their next meal will come from. Please consider donating to help us end childhood hunger.
Adapted from a Feeding America article by Brooke Still